Wednesday, May 23, 2007

inspiration as a way of life

I have been meaning for quite a long time now to move beyond the world of MySpace blogging. Although it serves its purpose, it is still, well, MySpace. I like that my friends can read my blogs there easily, but what about my oh-so-chic friends who have moved beyond the MySpace world? MySpace is just not a very socially acceptable blogging locale, so now I have this instead.

Also, a guest speaker from the advertising department came to my journalism class today. I'm usually pretty snarky when it comes to advertising people and their creations, but this woman actually impressed me. She talked about the inspiration writers need to create, and how "the whole point of writing is idea collecting." And she talked about how all good writers keep track of their inspired thoughts.

She also talked about inspiration as a way of life. Like, instead of walking down the street being like, there's the bank, and that girl from my math class, and, oh look, a STOP sign with "Bush" written on it... you would still see all of those things, but instead of just registering them on some low level, they'd go right into the machine and you would start creating content from them. Whether this content is an ad, a painting, an article, a poem doesn't matter so much as the fact that you are collecting ideas.

At the very least, this blog will serve as a good idea collector for me. And, hopefully, the ideas I collect will be interesting to other people, too, and I will not become just another blogger of the useless variety.

1 comment:

jpkondo said...

your blogs have always been thoughtful and inspiring. blogspot's a great place for your stuff: The font style and white background suit your philosophical tone. And the capital of Paraguay...I'm not even going to guess.