Wednesday, May 23, 2007

poetry

I forgot.

The woman that talked about inspiration also showed us this:


And I love it. There are seven more like it on YouTube and you should check those out, too. The animation is so well done and the poetry is wonderful, too.

I used to think I hated poetry, because all I had heard was stuffy-sounding rhyming formulaic cliché crap.

Then I started listening to good music and I realized that good song lyrics are actually just poetry set to music. Pretty elementary deduction there, but it took me a while to grasp it. And then I was more willing to read other poetry. And now I like it. In fact, I love it, and the good stuff is kind of like a drug, I want to read more of it. But at the same time that I want to read more of it, I want to go do crazy shit. Like write novels or paint murals or build life-size sculptures of dinosaurs.

I suppose this is what that woman meant when she said that inspired thought leads to more creation.


ps. I still don't like the majority of old, rhyming, formulaic poetry. I've figured out that I do like some of it, though, I just have to be in the right mood.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HELLOOO!! I AM YOUR FIRST COMMENT. I WANTED TO TELL YOU, ooop's i wasn't yelling, i had the caps lock thing on... anyways i have been loving poetry lately as well, i think you may know that because i stayed up extra late last night reading you poems about maidens braids turning to roots or something. but i think i like the way you put that feeling to words, the way you want to do crazy shit, i know.