Monday, June 4, 2007

worky work work

So... uhh. So much for posting daily. I suppose I could get away with saying, at this point, that I will post every weekday. I guess it doesn't really matter. I'm posting a blog right now, and that's what's important.

I've interviewed for a couple jobs so far in Eugene, and I am really starting to hate the interview process. I've never had a "real" job before and that is probably part of the problem. I get really nervous at interviews, and I already don't come across that well when I first meet people, usually. Kinda stand-offish. The two job interviews I've had were for things that I was initially pretty excited about, and then after being interviewed I realized that I didn't even want the job that I was applying for. And then both places told me they weren't going to hire me anyways, which doesn't even bother me because I don't want the jobs anymore.

The first job I interviewed for, a couple months ago now, was to work at IntroDUCKtion (ow, ow, the horrid pun is injuring me bodily...) as a Student Orientation Staff member. It sounded fun originally because it seemed like the kind of job that I could make friends with the other kids and maybe feel a little more involved in U of O. Then they had me do a group interview, at which I realized I probably didn't want to work there anymore because all the other kids seemed like such fakes. The boss made a bunch of comments about dress code, what we could or couldn't display on our MySpaces or Facebooks, etc. They were looking for some perfect model student, you could tell. Not real people. I like Oregon well enough, but mostly it's just another university to me, and I'm not willing to become Susie School Spirit for a job. They called me back for a personal interview, and I went, but reluctantly... and I have to admit I didn't put much effort in for that one.

Then last week I had an interview to work at the Card Office, where they print student ID cards. Boring, yes, but it also sounded easy, which is, sadly, kind of appealing. When I went in for this one, the people interviewing me were a lot nicer and friendlier. So much so, in fact, that I was creeped out. They were all SO HAPPY. Which is great, I guess, but why? YOU WORK IN A BASEMENT SURROUNDED BY FLOURESCENT LIGHTING. Are they brainwashed, or is there something in the EMU water? I don't mean that they were nice, I mean, these ladies were laughing very hard and beaming brilliantly, almost in unison. I'm one of the happiest people I know, but I still don't think I could handle working with these people. Too much optimism is almost depressing sometimes. That's a horrible thing to say but it's what I really think. Anyways, I guess they could only give me 10 hours a week, and I basically told them that that wasn't enough, so when they sent me an email saying that the position was filled but I should reapply in fall I wasn't surprised.

I have another interview on Thursday at Mangiamo's, the bakery/coffee shop at the EMU. I'm really hoping I get this one, and that it doesn't disappoint. At this point I just want a job. But really, this is what I wanted all along. A nice summer job where I could be social and not have to think too hard, and where I could work for 30, 40 hours a week. I need that much time if I'm going to be getting minimum wage (bleh). Also, I would learn the skills of a barista. Kick ass. I've always wanted to know how to make a jillion specialty coffees. And baked goods surrounding me all day... I probably would have to start going to the rec center more (or, er, start going to the rec center, period) but how delicious. Mmmm. The best part about Mangiamo's, though, is its location. It's this nice, sunny, open room on the main floor of the EMU (the student union building here) called the Fishbowl. Plus, I could tell people I work in the cafeteria from Animal House, and that's just awesome. The scene where John Belushi stuffs his face and then sprays the food all over the prepsters ("That boy is a P-I-G, pig!") was filmed in the Fishbowl. It's classic. Not to mention I snooped past there the other day and they obviously don't have a rigid dress code or creepily happy workers. Thank God. Anyways, wish me luck, guys... I'm crossing my fingers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and look where you are now. I'm very proud of you my dear. you visualized everything and got what you wanted!